Sunday, March 11, 2012

Short Story Review

     I just read "Dust" by Allison M. Dickson. After reading manuscript submissions for the last two weeks, it was very nice to actually read something good. The plot is rather simple. A weird Moon dust lands on the Earth and quickly reduces everything and everyone it touches to dust. The events are seen through the eyes of a Vietnam vet. 
     I read the story in one sitting because I did not want to put it down. The well crafted story reminded me of an old Rod Serling Twilight Zone episode. At the end, I half expected Rod to walk out holding a coffin nail and say something snide about the poor characters.
     The most interesting part of the story to me was how point-of-view was handled by Ms. Dickson. There is little dialogue in the story. Most of the narrative takes place in the main character's head. The author pulled this off flawlessly in my opinion. 
I recommend this short story. 
P.S.- you can pick it up on Kindle for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mlugu wants to hear from you!